|Photo by Patrick Hoesly / Flickr|
Hilarious History of Social Media
Here's a rundown of some of the major milestones in the world of social media.
- Friendster - Not many people remember this social media website, but it existed - at least for a little bit. Friendster became quite popular for a minute, but the clunky interface didn't help anything. And to make matters worse, when it was launched most people didn't even know what the phrase social media meant.
- MySpace Upsets Epileptics - Epilepsy is a serious topic to be sure, but it's still important to point out that MySpace was very harmful to them because of all the flashing page designs that hurt the eyes of everyone let alone those who had seizures when looking at them. And then there were the songs of MySpace - one out of 1,000 were actually original and good.
- Facebook Jumps the Shark - Research is still being done to figure out exactly when this happened, but many signs point to it being sometime in 2005 soon after the Zuckerberg screwed over the Winklevoss twins at Harvard. Since that time the website has been jumping the shark consistently and repeatedly - something many people didn't even realize was possible.
- Farming my Mafia Jungle Wars - At some point social media websites wanted something a little more than people getting together to share pictures and witty remarks. The social media game was created to fill this need. Soon after, quite a few people became addicted to virtual worlds and pretend items. Some even paid a lot of money for their virtual farms or gangs.
- The Google+ Gang - We're not sure what happened at this point in time, but when Google+ was released, things began to get a little wonky on the Internet. Witness the latest fiasco when Google+ replaced normal comments at YouTube. While Google said this was good for the users, the users mostly said, "Ummm, no."