Lotus Notes, an email application, is developed by the software company IBM. Lotus Notes has Domino email sever. This email server is useful in a multi-user environment in which all the emails are downloaded at one place and then the emails reach their systems. The Lotus email platform is not only used for email activities but also for many functions like contacts storage, setting up tasks, marking journal entries, etc. Lotus Notes can be called a complete email package for any company.
Setting up Lotus Notes
Following are the steps to set up Lotus Notes program on system:
- First visit the website of IBM
- Look for the free trial version of IBM Lotus Notes email environment
- Then, Download >> Install >> Configure
- Then, Go to Start > Programs > Lotus Applications > Lotus Notes
- If you have opened the Lotus Notes for the first time, then Lotus Notes Client Configuration Wizard appears on the screen
- Finally to configure Lotus Notes application on your system, follow the instructions and provide the required information.
Microsoft Outlook, an email application, is developed by Microsoft Corporation. It is not an emailing application, but also includes tasks, calendar, contacts, journals, notes, tasks etc. It can be in a multi-user environment as well as in a stand-alone email application. The email server of Outlook Microsoft Exchange, which is used in a multi-user organizational environment set ups.
Setting up Outlook on Your System
Almost all Windows Operating Systems have Microsoft Outlook application. Follow the given below steps to activate it with POP3 account setting:
- First, you need to install MS Office and Outlook is the default email client in MS Office
- Look for Outlook icon in start menu or on your desktop
- Click the Outlook icon
- Then configure MS Outlook with account settings of POP3
The email information of Lotus Notes is stored in files with .nsf extension. These files are database files of Lotus Notes that contain information of to-do-list, email data, tasks markings, metadata, calendar items, journal entries, design information, etc.
Locating NSF Files
By default, NSF files are stored in the following location - C:\Program Files\lotus\notes\data
What is PST?
The email information of MS Outlook is stored in files with .pst extension. The full form of PST is “Personal Storage Table”. These files also include calendar, Address Book contacts, mail messages, to-do-list etc.
Convert Lotus Notes to Outlook
If you want to migrate from Lotus Notes to Outlook and want to view your Notes email data in Outlook, then transfer your mailbox items from NSF to PST. For this migration, you can use a third-party tool like SysTools Export Notes software.
Installing SysTools Export Notes Software for the Migration Process
Follow the steps given below to install SysTools Export Notes software to migrate Lotus Notes NSF files to MS Outlook PST files:
- First visit the Export Notes product website like http://www.notestooutlook.exportnotes.com
- Download the free Demo Version of Export Notes software
- Then run the software on your system
- Browse NSF files that are converted PST
- Have a Preview of the mailbox items
- Then select a location to save the converted PST file
- Then click on the ‘Export to Outlook’ button
- Now go to the saving location of the migration process so that you can open the PST file that were converted from the original NSF file
- If you want to convert all the mailbox options and items, then purchase a full mode of SysTools Export Notes software.